ICC Note: The Boko Haram crisis in northern Nigeria has killed more than 17,000 people and has displaced more than two million, including half a million children during the six-year insurgency. Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari says the return home for these millions will begin in 2016. These citizens, most of whom are Christians, are left between a rock and a hard place because their home villages remain racked with insecurity and lack of financial opportunity.
By Conor Gaffey Nigeria(Newsweek) – Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari told former British Foreign Minister David Miliband that the millions of people displaced from their homes by Boko Haram would start the process of returning in 2016, News24 Nigeria reported on Thursday.
The militant group’s ongoing six-year insurgency, which has spread from northeastern Nigeria to neighboring countries, has killed at least 17,000 people and internally displaced more than two million, 10 percent of whom live in government-run camps,AFP reported.
A September report by UNICEF said that 500,000 children had been uprooted and forced to flee their homes in the previous five months alone.
Buhari has set a deadline of the end of December for the Nigerian Army to retake all territory currently held by Boko Haram, which has been forced back into its Sambisa Forest stronghold in the northeastern Borno state.
After a meeting with the International Rescue Committee, a humanitarian aid agency headed up by Miliband, the Nigerian president said that efforts to return the internally displaced persons (IDPs) to their homes would begin“in earnest” in 2016….
Declare an end to insurgency in Nigeria in Jesus name!