SUSPECTED BOKO HARAM
MILITANTS KILL DOZENS IN
RAID ON NIGERIAN VILLAGE
ICC Note: According to recent reports, militants who
are suspected to be associated with radical Islamist
terror group Boko Haram carried out an attack on a
village in Borno state, Nigeria on March 3, 2015. The
attackers raided Njaba early in the morning,
specifically targeting the men, before setting the
village ablaze. Boko Haram has a stronghold on
much of the northeastern region of Borno state and
has recently begun launching attacks into
neighboring countries as well.
03/05/2015 Nigeria (BBC) – Suspected Boko Haram
militants have killed at least 64 people in a village in
Borno state, north-east Nigeria, witnesses have
The gunmen who stormed Njaba targeted men and
boys before setting the village on fire, survivors
The raid happened early on Tuesday but was not
reported immediately because of the remoteness of
Boko Haram has killed thousands of people in its
drive to establish an Islamic state.
The raid on Njaba came as many villagers were
attending morning prayers, a witness quoted by
news website Sahara Reporters said.
Fatima Abaka said there was “pandemonium” when
the shooting started.
“I ran into the bush. Since then I [have] never seen
my husband and three children,” she said. “[I] came
back to our village in the afternoon, dead bodies
were scattered everywhere.”
Another witness, Aminatu Mommodu, said the
bodies of victims, including many men with their
throats slit, were in the mosque.
Other villagers caught by the gunmen outside the
mosque had been shot, she said.
Njaba is about 100km (62 miles) south of the state
Ibrahim Wagu, a Maiduguri resident who comes
from Njaba, told Reuters news agency that two of
his relatives had been killed.